This catalog has no sub-catalogs.

Medical Travel Insurance Australia

Reciprocal healthcare arrangements exist between Australia and the UK. Under these, British citizens resident in the UK and travelling on a British passport are entitled to limited subsidised health services from Medicare Australia for medically necessary treatment while visiting Australia. In-patient and outpatient public hospital treatment is usually free of charge or at a minimal cost. This does not cover pre-existing conditions, or treatment that does not require urgent attention. Renal dialysis is included but you must make arrangements for this before leaving the UK. Contact your NHS renal unit for further details. You can also find further information from the FCO or NHS. You should check Medicare Australia for further details.
Other exclusions under the reciprocal agreement include medication when not a hospital in-patient, use of ambulance services and medical evacuations. This can be incredibly expensive – with reported cases exceeding £100,000 for medical evacuations to the UK. You should ensure that you have adequate medical travel insurance for Australia to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

What to do if you get ill on holiday in Australia?

If you require emergency medical assistance during your trip to Australia you should dial 000 and ask for an ambulance. You must also make immediate contact with the 24 hour emergency assistance company (details and phone number will have been provided when you purchased your travel insurance policy). This is particularly important for any treatment not available under the reciprocal arrangement. Contact needs to be made before treatment is started. 

What will you need to take with you to Australia?

  • – Evidence of UK residence (e.g. NHS medical card or UK driving licence)
  • – Temporary entry permit
  • – Travel insurance for your Australia trip – policy documents

Health precautions in Australia

You must ensure you take extra health precautions when travelling in the Northern Territory, and parts of Western Australia, South Australia, Queensland and Tasmania. Contact your GP approximately eight weeks before your trip to check whether you need any vaccinations or other preventive measures. Murray Valley encephalitis (MVE), Ross River fever (RRF) and Barmah Forest virus (BFV) occur periodically in parts of Australia. There is no vaccination against these viruses, but there are preventative measures that you can take, more details can be found at National Travel Health Network and Centre.


If you wish to contact us about this policy or you have any other questions, please telephone us during office hours, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, on 01592 858386 or click here to complete the contact us form ».

01592 858386 Get a quote
Over 50 Travel Insurance

Quick Search

01592 858386Get a quote